Monday, February 18, 2008

GVOC Sprint Training Camp

This past weekend, I attended the Greater Vancouver Orienteering Club's (GVOC) Sprint Training Camp. It was a weekend of hard work and fun and consisted of 10 solid events to help everyone become a better orienteer. You can't help but be beat after this camp; when do you ever red-line it more than once in a day let alone five times like we did on Saturday? There was some good competition with several national team members and some fast Europeans (read this as European=reading maps in the womb).

All the events, with the exception of a race at UBC on Friday, were held on the North Shore in Vancouver. Some of the maps were brand new and all of the maps were new to me which made for some good events.

While I smacked my knee pretty bad on a sharp boulder early on Saturday - causing me to drop out of the first event - I was lucky that it wasn't serious and I was to continue over the weekend.

Here's some photos of the action:

Red-lining it in Deep Cove

Benoit, Nickoli and Magnus discussing their route choices

Thomas pushing hard off the beach

Benoit checking his route in the Dog bones event

A steamy finish!

I did well in the races consistently placing 5th overall which I was quite happy with. Compared to the top places, my times were much closer than in last years camp which shows me that I have made some good progress. I made no serious mistakes in all of the events and just need to refine my small route choices and work on being smoother coming into and out of controls. Running faster would also help!

A big thanks to all of the GVOC members who helped put on this awesome weekend and for making it so successful. I'll see you next year!
TNO

1 comment:

Gary Robbins said...

Nice work Todd! Sorry I couldn't join ya for it!
GR