Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Foot Pain = Cuboid Subluxation


After the Suburban Rush race last weekend, I went home, had a good sleep, and was up early to participate in the largest Victoria running race of 2008; the Times Colonist 10km. While I was a little sore from the Rush, I was feeling like I could leave it out there and have a solid run. My 'goal' was a mid to low 36 minute time and even with the hard race the day previous, I still thought that I could perform.
/
However, after getting out of the car and starting to walk to the start line, I realized that my foot was starting to hurt again. I say again because it was the same type of pain that I felt after my disaster at the Diez Vista 50km. It wasn't too bad at first but by the time we got close to the start, I knew that I wasn't going to be able to run. What started as a slight pain increased to the point that I could no longer walk properly. I turned around, limped back to the car, changed, and limped back - to the finish line this time - wondering what this would mean to my training and to my season as a whole. The only thing I could think of was that I had a micro fracture in my foot that had flared up again and would take many weeks to heel with no running. I was bummed.
On a positive note, the finish of the race was great! Man, the leaders came in so fast. Just over 30 minutes for the winner with a big pack all close up front. Super fast finish.
/
I obviously had to have my foot checked out so I booked an appointment and saw my physio today. Is it fractured? How long will it take to heal?
/
After many questions and doing a few tests, she figured out right away that my pain was caused by a subluxed bone in my foot (the cuboid). Apparently, the cuboid (which is cube-like in shape) is a common culprit that becomes shifted which makes proper movement impossible and results in pain. There is a tendon that runs down the side of the foot and then wraps under which stabalizes the foot and prevents rolling. The problem with the cuboid happens when the tendon is suddenly engaged (like slipping and tweeking the ankle quickly on a root like at Diez Vista) and causes the bone to shift. So, I've been walking around with a subluxed cuboid for the past three weeks; no wonder my foot was always sore.
/
The solution; push the damn thing back in!
/
After resettling the cuboid, my physio wrapped it with tape and advised me to keep taping it over the next week to prevent the problem from happening again.
My foot is already starting to feel better and in a few days, I should be back on my feet again. Barb is the best.
/
TNO

4 comments:

garobbins said...

Wow am I relieved to hear that! Physio's are the best, glad your not too too broken!

GR

Anonymous said...

Dude, are what's the latest? I've enjoyed reading your blog... Rob

neoikon said...

Thanks for the post! I think I have the same problem. What is the latest? Did you put a pad under the cuboid to provide some lift during runs?

Eva Diva said...

I'm training for a half marathon and have been having the same foot pain for about a week. I was terrified I had a stress fracture. Glad I found this post!